24-Hour Emergency Shelter for Children Ages 9-20
About the South Mississippi Children’s Center
Located in Hattiesburg, the South Mississippi Children’s Center (SMCC) is a 12-bed co-educational diagnostic and evaluation shelter providing 24-hour emergency shelter and social services for abused, neglected, runaway, and homeless children. The shelter offers a safe, home-like refuge for children in need. The SMCC is a registered National Safe Place available for intakes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Who We Serve
Children and adolescents ages 9-20 in Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services‘ (MDCPS) custody, or adolescents in crisis and need of emergency shelter.
What Services SMCC Provides
Canopy works to find the best permanency plan for children who enter our care. Each child receives individual, group, and crisis counseling, case management, support, family preservation, and aftercare services as-needed. Other services include:
- Medical, dental, vision, and psychological evaluations
- Educational continuity
- Individual and family counseling
- Supervised visitation
- Independent living skills
- Discharge planning and aftercare
How To Make a Referral
- Youth in custody of MDCPS are referred by a Social Worker
- Runaway and homeless youth are referred by any source (self, parent, teacher, neighbor, law enforcement, etc)
- Please contact SMCC:
Support the Shelter
The SMCC is supported by volunteers and private donors making monetary and in-kind gifts. Click here to view our needs list.
To make a donation to support SMCC, please click here.